Moscow is a woman, even the gender of the word is feminine. And she has dozens of faces – a mother, a queen, a con artist, a nun, a prostitute, an angel, a witch, a muse, a doll and many others. Dive into the history (or herstory) of Moscow via stories of outstanding women – both famous and notorious – walking up and down one of seven hills, which preserved a unique atmosphere of old Moscow with narrow, crooked streets and reminders from different époques. It’s a perfect choice, if you want to see Moscow off the beaten track.
Moscow has a woman’s face
Activity level: moderate
Duration: 3 hours
Off the beaten tourist path
15+ woman stories, 1 of a monster
Private guide right from your hotel
Anastasia (our guide) will come to your hotel (lobby area) or any other indicated address to begin the tour from there. If you stay outside of the city area, we will offer you alternative meeting options.
The Convent of St. John the Baptist
- Who was the Russian Iron Mask?
- Who was deprived of being called a woman?
- How could men get rid of their wives legally?
- Where can you find Florence in Moscow?
The Morozovs’ Garden
- Where is the only oasis of the gardens, founded in the XV century?
- How could a widow multiply the inherited fortune 5 times?
- What love triangle inspired one writer and one film director?
- Who became the most Russian painter being Jewish?
- What was the most dangerous place in Moscow?
- Who was the most famous female con artist?
- Where can you do treasure hunting?
The Chambers of Ukraintsev
- How is the area connected to Ukraine?
- Where was the first squat in Moscow?
- How did fashion change with time in Russia?
- Where were the first works of Chaikovskiy printed?
- What woman made Chaikovskiy popular?
The Chambers of Mazepa
- Who got the only medal of Judas?
- Where was the female part of the house?
- What were the main activities of noble women?
The Lutheran Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul
- What world-know conductor made Russian women faint in this protestant church?
- How could a crematorium save a pipe organ?
- What building in the centre of Moscow has the original clock from the bell tower of the church?
The Mansion of Knopp
- What businessman managed to sell his equipment to almost all the fabric-producing factories?
- How is this mansion connected with Yukos?
- What woman became the first female hero of the Soviet Union?
The Estate of the Dolgorukov’s
- What two Russian empresses were trend-setters?
- What were the languages of fans, flowers and beauty spots?
- What size was the waist of empress Catherine II?
The Chambers of Sverchkov
- Who was a candy tycoon in the Russian empire?
- Why did his wife donate much money on building a maternity home?
- Why did he hire blonds in one candy shop and brunettes in another one?
The Estate of Rumyantsev (The Embassy of Belarus)
- How to open a bottle with a sable like a Russian hussar?
- What woman disguised herself as a man and served in the Russian army?
Back to your hotel
At the end of the tour we will take you back to your hotel.
What is Included?
- Personal guide
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- All taxes
- No hidden costs!